See how Global Diaspora Week was celebrated around the world!
The first annual Global Diaspora Week, hosted October 12th – 18th 2014, featured more than 70 events around the world dedicated to diaspora communities and their contributions to global development. We are thrilled to share with you a recap of the inspiring events that made the inaugural Global Diaspora Week such a success. Click on an event title below to read summaries, see photos, and watch videos from the events.
We hope you’ll join us for Global Diaspora Week 2015 as a host, a participant, or both! Stay tuned for more details regarding the 2015 Global Diaspora Week in the coming months.
• Diaspora Economic Forum
• Chinese Diaspora Beyond Borders
• Introduction to DiasporaEngager
• Caribbean Diaspora for Development Online Forum (Oct 13-18)
• The Mexican Diaspora in San Diego
• Dialogues with Dreamers in Mexico
• Diaspora Development Impact in Nigeria
• Diaspora Mini-Marathon
• Global Diaspora Media Forum
• How the Global Diaspora Social Media is Helping Governments and Organizations to Sustainably Engage with Diasporas
• The Diaspora Tour at Seattle Colleges
• Silk Road Communities in the US
• Diaspora Engagement with American Friendship Club
• Digaai Edit-a-thon
• The Role of the Diaspora in Health and Education Emergencies: Spotlight on Lesotho and Nigeria
• Diaspora Painting Exhibition
• Los Angeles Diaspora Forum
• Mobilizing Canada’s Diversity for Development
• Development Effects of Remittances
• Historical Diaspora Conference
• New Remittance Rights for Immigrants
• Returned Diasporas: Reinsertion of Returned Migrants and Dreamers to the Mexican Public Education System
• DiasporaEngager’s Model for Engaging the African Diaspora in the Development of Africa: Challenges and Perspectives
• Investing in Africa: Why and How?
• Africans and African Diaspora- Implementation of the UN CRPD to Break Barriers Toward Disability-Inclusive Development
• Beyond Ebola: Building Healthcare Infrastructure in West Africa
• Best Practices for Diaspora Civic Engagement
• Financing Your Global Initiatives Featuring Alison Germak from OPIC
• Haitian Diaspora Investment and Engagement Research Program Webinar
• Valuable Facets: Diaspora in American Society
• Diaspora Photography Exhibition
• Diaspora Volunteer Online Panel and Discussion
• Diasporas in Development: Reflections of International Service
• Diaspora Forum on Global Collaboration Among Haiti’s Millenials
• DiasporaEngager: The Platform for International Diaspora Engagement in Science, Technology, Research, and Development
• Diasporas for Development: How Diaspora Communities are Catalyzing Growth and Creating Social Benefit Globally
• Diaspora Leadership Training
• Digaai Sua Historia (Tell your Story – Audio Workshop)
• Professional Exchanges, Forwarding Civil Society and International Development
• Transnational Communities – Not Your Grandfather’s Diaspora
• I am Georgian
• Pan-African/World Health Summit Global Forum
• Decouvrir Comment Diaspora Engager Peut Vous Aider
• Amcham Georgia Diaspora Business Luncheon
• A Foot in Each World: South Asian Diaspora Communities in the U.S. and their Interactions with their Homeland
• Diversifying Your Cultural Diplomacy Portfolio
• Triangular Partnership
• YouTube Diaspora Competition
• 5th Annual Silicon Valley Africa Film Festival (Oct 17-19)
• Diaspora Committee Reception in Parliament of Georgia
• Diaspora Economic Development Forum (Oct 17-18)
• LGBTQ Activism in Africa: Developments, Challenges, and the Role of Africans in the Diaspora
• United Macedonian Diaspora’s 10th Anniversary Pre-Gala Reception
• Giving Back to America
• Road Map Ghana
• Team Jamaica Bickle 5K Run/Walk For Health
• Revamping Tourism in Kenya
• Global Diaspora Picnic
• Africa TechWomen – Emerging Leaders
• Digaai Sua Historia (Tell Your Story)
• United Macedonian Diaspora’s 10th Anniversary Gala
What is Global Diaspora Week?
Global Diaspora Week (“GDW”) is a week dedicated to diaspora communities and their contributions to global development. It creates awareness, enables collaboration and enhances learning amongst those working with diaspora communities in different locations around the world. GDW 2014 boasted over 70 events.
Why a global series of events as opposed to a single forum?
GDW is a new structure that was created in response to feedback from past Global Diaspora Forum participants, who requested events that are tailored to address specific subjects, diaspora communities and their needs, regardless of location. GDW enables a more inclusive and more focused series of events– events that will be self-driven and self-organized by diaspora communities and other interested groups. By asking diaspora communities and organizations to take the reins, GDW shines a brighter spotlight on the organizations and initiatives themselves, the work they do and the issues that they feel are important.
By hosting a Global Diaspora Week event, diaspora communities and any interested parties will have the opportunity to create a distinct and impactful event in a location and on a subject of their choosing. Organizations and events will benefit from being associated with the larger series of events that is GDW.