One of the Office of the State Minister for Diaspora Issues‘ events during Global Diaspora Week 2015 was a “Diaspora Youth Leadership Development” contest. Participants were made up of young Georgians residing abroad ranging in age from 19 to 29 years old. They represented a variety of universities, businesses, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, educational and cultural spheres. The competition allowed young diaspora to expand their studies, networks, and leadership point of views.
• Leadership development
• Economic development
• Portraying their image in a global context of sports, music, and art
• Global connections and co-operation
• Overcoming poverty and violence
• Health Care
• Youth rule
• Youth volunteerism
• International exchange programs
• Involve/Encourage young diaspora to exchange information, all while strengthening ties;
• Cultural and national identity preservation among the diaspora who were born abroad;
• Create direct ties back to Georgia;
• Encourage the young diaspora to contribute as well as to inspire others to be future leaders;
• Foster a strong feeling of cooperation among young people;
On October 16, the ten finalists were awarded valuable prizes for providing the best ideas. Also, all participants will be given Diplomas.
Participation in the contest allowed the Georgian diaspora youth to present their activities, share your ideas and visions.